Pages

22/09/2016

Day 4, internal pitfalls and the Wine Bitch nagging.

Still very tired but woke up to feeling calmer and NO HANGOVER! That never, ever gets old, trust me :) I do have a stomach upset, though :(

My sober care routine first thing is to write my sober journal with  daily affirmations ( which boil down to - don't drink today, be kind to myself, lots of sober treats, Headspace, rest and take lots of water and a good diet and vitamins.)

Thinking about how I got like this, I really did not learn how to self sooth at the critical age as a child - I had a very bad example in my father ( alcoholic, abusive, shouty bully) and my mother died when I was 10. I grew up seeing Dad bully and bluster and drink and shout his way through all emotions. Or lock them down.

I don't shout a lot, I am not ( I hope!) a bully but I did drink as a way of managing emotions.  I also have had some mental health issues to do with all the past crap stuff and yes used alcohol to self medicate as a (poor) way to deal with my pain

Meditation and counselling have helped with the MH stuff to the point where I am able to get on with my life, largely unaffected by past events (except when triggered by something in the media, unexpectedly)

Not drinking and learning to actually experience and face emotions, sober, is the next thing to do, which is why I liken it to growing plants. Plant a seed, nurture it and watch it grow....

Fuck you Wine Bitch,  I will NOT listen to your nagging. Go away. I choose a sober treat

Today these were Fevertree tonic, a home manicure and spa bath, a swim at the local gym, a good book, a cat on my lap, a cuddle from my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. Thank you for commenting. I read all the comments and do my best to reply as quickly as I can.