Pages

24/09/2016

Day 6 and dealing with discomfort.


Part of my whole "didn't learn to deal with emotions correctly" as a child manifests itself as discomfort dodging. I think I do  a lot of discomfort dodging! Sometimes this manifests as getting on with stuff so as not to be late or behind a task, which is helpful, but in the evening if I felt uncomfortable I would start to drink.

This is one reason why I have lapsed quite often, usually around Day 6 or 7. I get a few days sober going, then feel a twinge, the Wine Bitch calls and I get uncomfortable and then ...I drink.

Like anything involving new patterns of thinking or doing, I have to train myself out of unwise patterns of behaviour.

So, when I get the urge to drink because I feel discomfort, I have a choice.
I could drink (NO!)
I could avoid the situation I am in, I could control the situation or I could escape it.
Or ..I could sit out the discomfort, noting it " oh, that's not comfortable" but not acting on it one way or another.

I favour the latter choice. Headspace has taught me it is a powerful tool!

Today, I went away to a conference, had a lot of fun and I did not drink :) I was tempted in the garage on the way home to buy wine but I paid for the fuel,  then almost ran out of the place and got into my car and listened to  Belle One Minute Message 6 and Day 6 audio lesson and read a few sober blogs (see sidebar  > ) until the urge passed.

I CAN do this :)

Sober treats today. Chatting  to friends, a lovely lunch, a walk in a garden, time to myself

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. Thank you for commenting. I read all the comments and do my best to reply as quickly as I can.