My journey to sober living "I won't drink today. Alcohol makes me depressed and unhappy. I don't do things that make me depressed and unhappy. I choose to do things that make me happy and healthy and bring me joy."
23/09/2016
Day 5. A sober Fri.
I woke up after a slightly better night sleep but still very early. As I couldn't sleep again I used the time to do my sober homework reading and listen to today's audio lessons.
I worked out some coping strategies for when the Wine Bitch starts to tell me how rubbish I am at stuff and how I am bound to fail to stay sober. Fuck you WB, I now have a list! A plan! And I'm not afraid to use it on you! ( I love a good list :) )
It includes, buying or otherwise getting small cheap sober treats each day ( a nice herb tea or real coffee in the garden) listening to the robin sing, books, dvd's or downloaded films or box sets, going swimming, having time to properly cleanse my face with lovely smelling stuff, a home manicure, a soak in a hot bath with candles, a cuddle from my husband, my cat sitting on me more ( she didn't like the smell of wine I think!) a trip to the shops to browse and then a (cheapish) lunch out - I actually made a sandwich and a flask today, took them with me and went and sat by the river in nearby Big Town and watched the ducks in between shopping stuff. :)
I have maladaptive coping strategies when bad stuff happens to or around me. I CAN learn to experience emotions, sober. I CAN find other, better, more healthy ways of coping with life. Rather than pouring the "rotting by-product of grapes" down my throat every night..
When was the last time I ever woke up feeling regret I wasn't hungover? Never
Once I went beyond light social occasional drinking, (30 plus years ago!) I always regretted drinking next morning. Always.
Did I mention waking up hangover free is marvelous? Well, it is :)
So today I went shopping, then swimming and had a massage late afternoon - it was wonderful. Home to family, cats on the sofa and daft tv. Bed early.
Sober treats? The whole day :) I have also planned out a list of sober treats for the next week, some each day. Day 7 is some perfume :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hello. Thank you for commenting. I read all the comments and do my best to reply as quickly as I can.