Spent some time over the weekend de cluttering and putting stuff ready for charity shop/recycling.
Guess what I found hidden in a wardrobe at the back?
An alcometer. I actually bought a digital alcometer at some point in the distant (drinking) past. I
remember, once I found it, that I got it when the rules changed and you had to have one in the car to drive in the EU? And the price of each of the disposable ones was high and when I saw this digital one on offer it seemed like a good idea to get a re usable one ...
Wtaf? What was I thinking?
Did it never occur to me that the best and only way to ensure I was not DUI of alcohol at any point, was
to NOT FUCKING DRINK THE NIGHT BEFORE! And to just have one disposable alcometer in the car to comply with EU law?
What kind of addict, Wolfie brained
thinking, was this?
Actually don't answer that. Because I know exactly what kind of thinking it was.
Even now ( even now, after 3 months sobriety and a couple of years of mostly being sober) when I
found it and thought "just shouldn't have drunk the night
before" that voice (Wolfie, Belle calls it) popped up and whispered "shouldn't have drunk TOO MUCH the night
before, but, you know, you could always have just had a few and then stopped"
Well fuck you Wolfie no I could not, as that is how I got into this mess in the first place!
I have no idea
when I bought this gadget, must have been several years ago as that was when I went abroad with the car. Don't think I ever even
used it apart from to check it worked. And when I tried to think about it yesterday,
Wolfie snuck in again with " well shows how responsible you were that you
thought about the consequences and did something about it to avoid
driving if you were still under the influence"
Fuck you again Wolfie! No! It shows how messed in the
head I was, that I would ever even contemplate that it was a good idea to drink so much the night before that I had to check if I was sober enough to drive the next day.
(N.B I have never actually driven under the influence, if anything I was always over cautious about not driving until there was no possibility of being over the legal limit to drive - to the detriment of my ability to go places, sometimes.)
I am shocked at finding this gadget and at my (now) obvious addict thinking. Truly shocked. I
have done a few things I'm not proud while drinking, but I think this is really my rock
bottom moment.
However, it's good that I feel so shocked at myself and
immediately recognize, now, how wrong thinking I was, then. So well done me :)
Despite this shock am glad to report I didn't find any other nasty surprises - no empties or half full bottles of wine stashed away. Thank God!
De cluttering is good. A metaphor
for what I am doing right now with my emotions and thoughts!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hello. Thank you for commenting. I read all the comments and do my best to reply as quickly as I can.