Pages

09/02/2020

Sleep glorious sleep! Day 40

I woke up early today, due to a wild and blustery day outside with Storm Ciara overhead. As I couldn't get back to sleep I used the extra morning time to do my sober homework, journalling, reading and to listen to some audio sessions from Belle and Jackie Elliott.

I worked out some new coping strategies for when Nosferatu (my personal "drink now" voice) starts to tell me how rubbish I am at stuff and how I am bound to fail to stay sober. 

Nosferatu has the voice of my Father, who delighted in telling me, from an early age, just how useless and stupid I was  (I'm not, by the way!)

The coping strategy I like best  involves rewarding myself with small sober treats each day, (which can be things I'd do anyway, just reframed as treats) so a nice herb tea or real coffee in the garden,  listening to the robin sing, books, dvd's or downloaded films or box sets, going swimming, having time to properly cleanse my face with lovely smelling stuff, a home manicure, a soak in a hot bath with candles, a cuddle from my husband, my cat sitting on me, a wander round a local church or castle,  a trip to the shops to browse and then a (cheapish) lunch out. 

I now know I have maladaptive coping strategies when bad stuff happens to or around me, learnt from my abusive father and the appalling treatment he showed to me.

But, I have learnt to experience emotions, sober. I have found other, better, more healthy ways of coping with life. I WON'T continue like I was!

When was the last time I ever woke up feeling regret I wasn't hungover? Never!

Did I mention waking up hangover free is marvelous?  Well, it is :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. Thank you for commenting. I read all the comments and do my best to reply as quickly as I can.